How often should you visit a dentist? Ideally, it is best if you conduct regular visits to dentist Berwick and get your teeth and mouth checked. But, if you have been irregular with such visits, there are certain signs to tell you to check with the doctor.
Here are some alarming indications for when should you get a dental check-up. Since we cannot see or control what happens inside the mouth or the teeth, none of these indications should be neglected, even it is as insignificant as a bad mouth odor or a headache.
- The first and the most obvious sign that tells you to visit the dentist is extreme mouth pain. This could be accompanied by swelling as well. When the pain extends to your neck and face, your teeth could be in a lot of trouble already. In fact, even if the pain resides after a couple of days or so, you should still consult the doctor. This is because the infection might still persist even though the body has fought off the initial pain.
- When you find some abnormality in your gums, this acts as a sign to pay the dentist a visit. Sometimes, it might so happen that the gums bleed when you brush your teeth or floss. Inflamed gums are not good for oral hygiene and they should be treated with care even if they are not accompanied by pain.
- Dental decay can be a dangerous situation for your teeth. It is imperative that you prevent it at the earliest. When you observe black spots or discoloration on your teeth, you should treat it at the earliest. This is the first symptom of dental decay. This is the issue that takes place when the enamel starts to dissolve due to the presence of a certain bacteria.
- Another symptom leading to dental decay is extreme sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures. Usually, dental decay attacks the outer surface of the teeth first and then penetrates into the inner cavity to reach the blood vessels. Thus, if your teeth are getting too sensitive to high or low temperatures, it is best to consult the dentist and get your cavity filled before the situation gets worse.
- Sometimes, something as small and insignificant as a discoloration can lead to severe consequences. When you brush every day, you could inspect the insides of your mouth to see if everything is fine or not. For instance, a discolored patch inside the mouth could do you a lot of harm. You could also inspect the area for the presence of lumps and any other unusual occurrences.
- Sometimes we do get a dry mouth and tend to ignore this sign. But this could be the start of some unwelcomed disease for your teeth. This might act as a side effect of a number of prescription drugs. But this could also indicate the growth of bacteria at home that could do you a lot of harm.
- This might be surprising to hear, but headaches and ear ache could also be associated with toothaches. If you are a victim of recurring toothaches, especially during the morning hours, it could be a result of grinding teeth at night. A possible solution for this would be using a mouth guard at night which could help you fight this issue. This could help cure your headache in the long run. Thus, even if it is an unsolvable headache, you should visit the dentist for best results.
- A bad breath could have a lot of health impacts. It is, in fact, the primary sign of gingivitis. This could, in turn, lead to rather serious health disorders. This is especially true when you are brushing regularly and yet getting a bad odor from your mouth. This could lead to issues and severe toothache. In order to avoid this situation, it is best to consult your dentist whenever you get the slightest hint of a bad breath.
- Have you ever felt a taste of metal inside your mouth? This could be the start of a serious dental issue. The taste is similar to biting a bunch of metallic coins. This can lead to gingivitis in future and thus should be treated right at the onset. Taking a hint from the previous point we discussed, this metallic feel could later lead to a bad breath and form similar dental issues.
- One rather uncommon reason for paying your dentist a visit to the doctor is pregnancy. While these 9 months can bring about some changes to the body, these can also bring about issues with your teeth. So, during your pregnancy, make sure you visit the doctor regularly to keep your dental hygiene in shape.
- When you are having troubles chewing or swallowing food, it is best you do not treat this lightly. Consult the dentist at the earliest so that you can treat the issue. However, until such time you visit the doctor, it is best you consume liquefied food items such that you do not work your teeth too much.
- Jaw pain is also an indicator of an imminent dental issue. This pain could surface while opening or closing the jaw, or even chewing your food. Before you get a major dental disease due to your jaw pain, get your mouth and teeth checked by the doctor to be safe.
Visit us today!