If I have a toothache, can I just go to my general practitioner and get antibiotics prescribed?

Yes you can, however, this is only a temporary solution. Despite minimising the pain, the infection that has caused the pain could have done irreparable damage to the health of your teeth and gums. We still recommend organising an appointment with your dentist to check for signs of any damage.